tr.v. Sports., -sioned, -sionÂ·ing, -sions.
- The passing of judgment on an issue under consideration.
- The act of reaching a conclusion or making up one's mind.
- A conclusion or judgment reached or pronounced; a verdict.
- Firmness of character or action; determination.
- Sports. A victory won on points in boxing when no knockout has occurred or in wrestling when no fall has occurred.
- Baseball. A win or loss accorded to a pitcher: has four wins in six decisions.
To defeat by a decision, as in boxing: decisioned his opponent in the third round.
[Middle English decisioun, from Old French decision, from Latin dÄ“cÄ«siÅ, dÄ“cÄ«siÅn-, curtailment, settlement, from dÄ“cÄ«sus, past participle of dÄ“cÄ«dere, to cut off, decide. See decide.]decisional deÂ·ci'sionÂ·al adj.
SYNONYMS decision, conclusion, determination. These nouns denote a position, opinion, or judgment reached after consideration: a decision unfavorable to the opposition; came to the conclusion not to proceed; satisfied with the panel's determination.